For most people who have not really plunged in the world of internet marketing, digital marketing and search engine optimization (SEO) are one and the same. They have been used in a sentence interchangeably, as they think both terms mean the same thing.
They simply don’t.
While it may be true that one simply cannot exist without the other, it does not change the fact that they are still two different entities.
What is digital marketing?
- By definition, it is the general term of promoting any product or service through the web, mobile, email, and other media. As long as it is electronic media promotions, it is classified as digital marketing.
- When you promote a service through your website, it is of course classified as digital marketing.
- It has been popular for many years already, and is also what paved the way for the rise of e-commerce.
- Several studies have shown that digital marketing has a higher trust rating now as opposed to offline marketing such as print ad media. It is now touted as the biggest business player, as even conventional or traditional businesses have started incorporating digital marketing in their operations.
- Digital marketing is powered by SEO. When your website hits its peak of search engine ranking, the response to your digital marketing campaigns will be better. A better ranking in search engines will naturally boost your online presence and visibility. More people will be able to see it, and will result to a much better turnout.
What is search engine optimization?
- SEO is simply the process of optimizing your website to improve its ranking in search engine results’ pages. It is a long term project of making sure that your website is highly relevant to searches made by your target audience.
- It uses a wide range of techniques involving links, tags, and keywords. When done properly, no matter how long the time frame might be, the results will come as expected and will also influence your sales.
- It is now being used in almost every website wanting to promote products and services. Also, more and more companies turn to SEO even from the first few weeks after launching. This is to strike early and gain early results.
- There is now positive SEO and negative SEO. Positive SEO automatically boosts your website ranking, depending on the weight of the cause. For example, if it is a boost made from a high number of quality links, it will be a noticeable rise in ranking. On the other hand, negative SEO can take your website at the farthest bottom of the ranking ladder. There are a number of possible causes, but it all boils down to just consistently monitoring your website’s online activity to be sure your website would not be destroyed by it.
How are the related to one another?
- A powerful and suitable digital marketing channel will make an SEO campaign more effective. It is imperative to choose your marketing channel with your target market and your business line as parts of the criteria.
- Do your target customers use more mobile or more email?
- Are they reachable enough using email marketing campaigns?
- Are they always active on their social media accounts? Which social media do most of your audience prefer?
- An SEO project will only be successful when given a reasonable time frame and an expert who knows what loopholes to go through and how to solve minor technical challenges. No matter how well-designed your SEO campaign is, if you have chosen the wrong medium, it will not work the way it is supposed to.
- SEO is said to be a matter of powerful content marketing. After all, it is your website’s content that has to be optimized in order to make an SEO project work. While digital marketing is still different from content marketing, they, too, are related to each other. An SEO campaign needs a suitable digital marketing platform that can complement its objectives.
- Social media is now playing a vital role in SEO projects. A website will have an SEO boost when its certain post has been shared many times, or has been “viral”, if you may say so. The more people can see your post on any electronic media, the bigger SEO improvement your website will enjoy.
- Digital marketing is the fuel needed by SEO campaigns to reach their full potential. One cannot get started with an SEO project without directly using any type of digital marketing channel. The success of any SEO strategy is also greatly influenced by the type of media it is used on.
- SEO might seem as the overwhelming technical counterpart of digital marketing. But that is not the case anymore. SEO now relies on how users react to your website. It is said to be ‘more human’ now, and not just relying on bots and crawlers to rank on results. They now have the same audience, and share the same objectives which are to gain attention and improve sales rates.
Digital marketing might be rightfully considered as the root of all, since it has been here before the birth of internet marketing, but of course we cannot deny how much it also needs its other counterparts.
Your website may look savvy and be actually informative, but a lack of proper SEO strategy may be the culprit why it is not having the attention it deserves. Both are just as essential in your operations and growth, and must both be getting the same attention.
It is a real challenge to attract site visitors, more so if you are still just starting out in the biz. You have to be really passionate in learning the ropes and really putting your heart into it.
As a conclusion, knowing that digital marketing is very much related to SEO, there is simply no sense in choosing one over the other. Perhaps, you can only choose which one to put more focus on, instead of totally throwing the other one out of the picture.
Examine your website and see what you’re lacking. Do you think your website is in need of a more intensive SEO campaign or just an overhaul in your current digital marketing platforms? Only you can see which is which.